Tuesday, March 07, 2006

16 days - Update

Only 16 days till I leave!

Quick update. I've moved back to Kansas City and have been spending the last week and a half getting logistics prepared. It's been a pretty eventful time, and I've gotton the following accomplished.
  1. Renewed my drivers license.
  2. Got an international drivers license.
  3. Got my ISIC card.
  4. Bought a silk sleeping sheet and a money wallet.
  5. Organized all my crap from Washington DC.
  6. Closed my bank account.
  7. Applied for a Capitol One Credit Card (which has the best international exchange rates!)
  8. Opened a new checking account that refunds my foreign ATM fee's.
  9. Ordered a backpack!
My backpack is the most exciting thing I've done, without a doubt. I went with the Eagle Creek TransContinental Explorer, a 2005 version. Here is a picture.

I choose this backpack for a few reasons. The reasonable size appealed to me (5200 cubic inches), as well the larger than average daypack, which I think will be very useful. Eagle Creek got a lot of great reviews from other backpackers, and from the many stores that I went to. Oh yeah, and the price was great - less than $110 shipped because it was on clearance (regular price $200, and the price in a local store here in Kansas)

I was debating between this pack and the Kelty RedCloud 5600. Aaron got a Kelty RedCloud 6600, a humongous pack. We will see who made the better choice.

Soon, I will start up a travel gear review section and submit reviews for all the travel gear that we have puchased thus far. But first, we need to get out abroad and use some of the gear! Only then will we know how good it is. I still gotta a lot of stuff to buy and do before leaving - but, in 16 days, I will become the first tripper to move our of the phase system (I am currently on phase 7 - immunizations) and into the portion system.

Yeah! Nithin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home